Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mystery shopping report

OK, I know the whole world was on the edge of their seats waiting to hear what council service I was going to use, and how I got on. Well, it's not hugely exciting, but we were getting rid of a sofa, and phoned the Cleansweep service for them to come and dispose of it. After paying the £12 fee over the phone, we were given a timeslot for the following day, and told to leave the item outside overnight, as the collection could be as early as 6am.

Now, the £12 fee covers up to three items, so a bit later in the day after some more furniture shifting, we called back to ask if we could leave a couple more items. Sorry, we were told, as it was after 12 noon we couldn't change the details of the booking. Oh dear.

Never mind, the sofa was collected on time, and I can't complain about the efficiency of the service. But would everyone in the Borough be prepared to pay £12 for it? When the Council proposed introducing charges, my Conservative colleagues and I opposed it, on the grounds that it could lead to an increase in fly-tipping, which is of course costly to deal with. I haven't seen figures on that, but will now be asking for them.

No comments: