Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The Royal Borough of Greenwich!

The news has just been announced in the House of Lords by Lord Mandelson that Greenwich is to be made a Royal Borough by Her Majesty The Queen to mark her Diamond Jubilee in 2012. It is fantastic news, and I am overjoyed.

Although I had no advance knowledge of the announcement, I have taken a particular interest in this issue over the years since becoming a Councillor, and have suggested several times that we should be a Royal Borough. It is not of course something you can campaign for openly, but it is fair to say I and other colleagues on all sides of the Chamber have been having quiet words in various ears about it. I tabled a motion in 2008 calling on the Council to more fully celebrate our heritage and our Royal links in particular, and was delighted that this was passed unanimously. The Leader of the Council said in his response then that the door was not closed on Royal Borough status, and I am delighted that he took the issue to heart.

An historic day indeed. Absolutely fantastic.

No comments: