Sunday, October 11, 2009

Onwards up the slope


My phone battery expired before I could blog my reaction to David Cameron's speech last week, but my post beforehand pretty much covered it. It struck the right tone, with a sober assessment of the scale of the problem facing the country, but a positive vision of how a Conservative government could make a positive difference. The most powerful moment was his declaration that the poorest in society have been let down by Labour and that it now falls to a Conservative government to help them. This brought the whole hall to its feet in an enthusiastic ovation, which was quite something to see. The polls have shown a rise in the Party's lead over Labour, but no-one I have spoken to underestimates the scale of the challenge facing us. As David Cameron said, it will be a tough mountain to climb, but the view from the top will be worth it.

No comments: