Tuesday, February 10, 2009

25 Random things about me

This seems to be an irresistable trend amongst bloggers at the moment - a mixture of trivia and quirky claims to fame which are amusing, if not wholly enlightening. So for once I'm going to join the crowd and tell you 25 random things about me:
  1. My first job was phone canvassing for a double glazing company when I was 16. I'm pleased to say I was very bad at it.
  2. My university nickname was "Norman".
  3. I once went ice-skating with Boris Johnson and David Willetts. It was as surreal as it sounds.
  4. Despite passing my driving test first time, I have never owned a car, and haven't driven one for over 10 years.
  5. John Profumo was at my university graduation - he was receiving an honorary fellowship for his charity work.
  6. My favourite German word is Schwarzwälderkirschtorte.
  7. As a child I won two Blue Peter badges (which isn't supposed to happen).
  8. I love ships, and am very proud of my collection of memorabilia from the Royal Yacht Britannia.
  9. I'm not good at celebrity parties - I once spilt red wine over Tracey Emin's shoes, whilst on another occasion Boy George knocked a drink over me.
  10. In 2000 I inadvertently became a prototype blogger, writing a weekly political gossip column for a website run by a certain Iain Dale...
  11. I was mugged at knifepoint three times in a year when I was a student.
  12. I have never been able to click my fingers.
  13. My best friend is 16 hours 20 minutes older than me, and was born in the same hospital.
  14. I told Bill Clinton he was my second favourite President, after Jed Bartlett.
  15. My Grandmother had a large railway carriage in her garden, which my grandfather used as his workshop.
  16. My office when I was a student union officer was the inspiration for 'The Office' - Ricky Gervais had been Entertainment manager a few years before, and the pilot episode was recorded there.
  17. I played the violin - badly - until the age of 12.
  18. When I lived in Wood Green, a flat above the chemist at the end of my street was raided by Anti-terrorism police claiming to have found evidence of a plot to manufacture deadly Ricin poison there and kill thousands of Londoners. The other neighbours were charming, though.
  19. I once appeared on stage in blue eyeshadow and a Kaftan as 'Oberon, King of the Fairies', in a youth theatre's hippy version of A Midsummer Night's Dream.
  20. At least five of my friends have published books, and I'm very envious. I did however write a chapter in A Blue Tommorrow in 2001, alongside ones by Michael Gove and Steve Hilton.
  21. I am afraid of heights and hate flying.
  22. The first word I learnt to say was "teddy".
  23. I spent the Queen's Golden Jubilee at a street party with Joanna Lumley.
  24. I once rode around London in a stretch limo dressed as a Vice-Chancellor, drinking champagne and throwing peanuts at striking lecturers. It was a publicity stunt for the university lecturer's union the AUT.
  25. If my tea isn't stirred clockwise I can't drink it until it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Illuminating!