Tuesday, June 24, 2008


Cutty Sark finally saved!


Wonderful news this lunchtime, as the Cutty Sark Trust have just announced a huge £3.3 million donation from the philanthropist Sammy Ofer, which closes the outstanding funding gap and means the restoration project can proceed. Mr Ofer recently gave £20 million to the National Maritime Museum for the construction of a new wing, and I did wonder if he could be tempted to spread his generosity.

Read the full press release from the Trust here.

It's very good timing for me, as I have a motion tabled for tomorrow night's Council meeting on the subject of our Borough's heritage, so it will be great to be able to celebrate the good news with colleagues then. I'll be writing more on my heritage motion later, but for the moment, rejoice! rejoice!

No comments: