Friday, June 15, 2007

Council Backs Cutty Sark

Not the most surprising of headlines, I agree, but I wanted to record my thanks to Councillors across the political divides who united at Council on Wednesday to support the motion I tabled in support of the restoration of our Borough's great flagship.

It was an uncontroversial motion, but I felt it was right we formally put on record our sadness at the disaster and our determination to do all we can to help her rise again. A pleasing example of cross-party co-operation saw the motion seconded by Labour Councillor Maureen O'Mara, in whose ward the Cutty Sark is situated, whilst several others from the majority group also spoke warmly in support.

On a personal level, I was pleased that a cause so close to my heart became the first Opposition motion for many years to be passed by the Council unamended (and even more pleased that the jokes in my speech got a few laughs!). Now, back to opposition...

1 comment:

David Gold said...

Well done Nigel, it does pay to put political differences aside now and again, just to show we all want the same things for our constituents, even if we have different ways of achieving them.