Monday, May 21, 2007



Cutty Sark - On a wave of goodwill
It is quite touching to see the outpouring of goodwill and support from so many quarters after this morning's disaster. From local residents to The Duke of Edinburgh, who as Patron of the Cutty Sark Trust will be visiting the site tomorrow, there is genuine shock and sadness at the news. The Secretary of State and Minister for Culture are also both due there this afternoon, so the omens for potential government support look promising, and Ken Livingstone has also given his support.
I spoke to my opposite number on the Council, the Labour Cabinet Member for Culture & Olympics John Fahy, and expressed my support for any fundraising activities the Council now undertakes, which I urged him to push for. Leader of the Council Chris Roberts has now made a statement commiting the council to continue to assist the Trust, which I naturally welcome.
My press release locally is here, and I have also been quoted in the local paper here. I am urging as many people as possible to show their support, and, if they are able, to donate at the Cutty Sark Trust's website.

No comments: