Thursday, April 26, 2007

Reasons to cycle number 3


I hadn't intended to post yet another rant about public transport quite so soon, but events seem determined to force me into it. Nearly 20 minutes waiting at a busy bus stop on Shooters Hill Road during which a packed 486 sailed past unable to pick up any passengers. Meanwhlle the traffic got heavier, so when the inevitable convoy of at least 5 buses all bunched together arrived we proceeded to sit in a traffic jam resembling Oxford Street on a busy day. Half an hour after leaving my flat, I have moved about 200 yards from my front door. The driver has just announced the extra passengers and traffic are the result of a fire at Deptford knocking out the mainline train services at the same time as a problem with the Blackwall tunnel. We are due at North Greenwich shortly after 9, but as our commendably honest driver said 'who knows?'.

No comments: